I have been struck recently how often the challenges we face in our work and lives are self created. In essence, we are in our own way.
- We can overcomplicate the issue
- We can be willing to hold onto assumptions that do not help us
- We can be unwilling to be curious about another’s point of view
- We can be afraid of asking for help
- We can be afraid of reaching out to offer help (who am I to think I can help)
- We can be afraid to act
- to understand the heart of the issue and have that be a unifying rallying cry to get all people working towards a common goal
- to challenge our assumptions and consider “what if this assumption is not valid”
- to be vulnerable enough…
- to be curious
- to ask
- to offer
- to act
Sometimes it is difficult in organizations and corporations to “get out of own way” and that’s where someone from the outside can help. I have found the skills and mindsets of design thinking are useful in helping organizations remove their self imposed barriers. Let me know if I can be of help to your organization.